White Chicken Chili
Why is it SO COLD? I don't care where you live, it feels like it's -10 degrees. 45 in Florida? FREEZING. 25 in Georgia? FREEZING. -15 in Iowa? ACTUALLY FREEZING.
It's chili season nationwide.
Wait, do you LOVE white chicken chili? I have no idea how I don't already have a recipe for this or why I rarely make it. IT'S SO MUCH BETTER THAN REGULAR CHILI.
I mean, this Spicy Veggie Chili is great, and it's full of vegetables, but sometimes you just need a chili with cream cheese on the ingredient list.
Here's an easy recipe that I recommend doubling, making a big batch of, and either eating all week or freezing! This is soooooo much better for you and WAY more delicious than any of those rich, creamy soups you can get in a can.
Here you go!
White Chicken Chili
Author: Megan Kober, RDN, LD
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Rich, creamy, and HEALTHY. The perfect comfort food for cold weather.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 40 oz. low sodium chicken broth (5 c)
- 1 15 oz can great Northern beans drained and rinsed
- 7 oz can green chiles
- 1 c whole kernel corn (canned or frozen)
- 6 oz cream cheese cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup half and half (use coconut milk if dairy-free)
- 4 cups shredded chicken (rotisserie, leftover, etc)
- big handful fresh cilantro chopped
- diced red onion
- Heat a large heavy bottom pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until onion is translucent.
- Add salt, pepper, oregano, chili powder, and cumin and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth, beans, green chiles, and corn and bring to a boil. Lower heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken, cream cheese, half and half, and stir until combined and cream cheese is melted. Stir in chopped cilantro.
- Top with chopped red onion and more cilantro.
Serving size: 6